I worked at a content marketing company for nearly a decade before we started Chimney. We built content programs for JPMorgan Chase, Citi, Bank of America, and dozens of other banks and credit unions.
My main takeaway? Creating quality content at scale is hard! Even for the big guys with seemingly unlimited budgets…it’s still hard.
It’s hard to be consistent.
It’s hard to find (and keep) good talent.
It’s hard to break through the noise.
And the hardest thing….proving that all your hard work is paying off!
At Chimney, we understand the power of interactive content. Financial calculators are low hanging fruit and they are an incredible way to transform your content strategy. They are so versatile…
Across different content pillars…
Across different personas…
Across different products…
Across different channels…
Whether you are looking to generate deposits or promote a HELOC, interactive tools are designed to meet the specific needs of your credit union and its members.
12 Priorities for Credit Union Content Marketing Strategies.
A content marketing strategy for a credit union should align with the institution’s goals, values, and target audience. Here are some top priorities to consider when crafting a content marketing strategy for a credit union:
- Audience Segmentation and Persona Development: Understand your credit union’s target audience. This might include existing members, potential members, and even specific demographic segments like young professionals, families, or retirees. Create detailed buyer personas to guide your content creation process, considering their needs, pain points, goals, and preferences.
- Financial Wellness: Financial literacy is a crucial aspect of a credit union’s mission. Provide educational content that empowers your audience to make informed financial decisions. This could include articles, guides, videos, and interactive content that explain concepts like budgeting, saving, investing, and managing credit.
- Interactive Content: As highlighted in the previous article, interactive financial calculators can be incredibly valuable. These tools help users visualize their financial options and make informed decisions. Mortgage calculators, loan estimators, retirement planners, and budgeting tools can engage users while showcasing your credit union’s expertise.
- Member Success Stories: Share real-life success stories of how your credit union has positively impacted members’ lives. These stories humanize your institution and build trust, showing potential members the tangible benefits of joining.
- Community Engagement: Credit unions often have strong ties to their local communities. Showcase your credit union’s involvement in community events, charities, and initiatives. This can foster a sense of community among members and position your credit union as a socially responsible organization.
- Personalized and Targeted Content: Use data to personalize content recommendations for members. Send targeted emails, suggest relevant content on your website, and provide tailored offers based on members’ financial situations and behaviors.
- Consistent Blogging and Updates: Maintain an active blog that covers a variety of financial topics. Regularly updating your blog not only provides valuable information to your audience but also helps with SEO and keeps your website fresh.
- Promotion of Financial Products and Services: While education is a primary focus, your content should also promote your credit union’s products and services. Highlight the unique features of your offerings and how they cater to your members’ needs.
- SEO and Keywords: Conduct thorough keyword research to identify the terms and phrases your audience is searching for. Optimize your content for search engines to increase your credit union’s visibility in organic search results.
- Multichannel Distribution: Share your content across various platforms such as your website, social media channels, email newsletters, and even physical branches. Tailor the content format to suit each platform while maintaining a consistent brand voice.
- Measurement and Analysis: Implement tools to track the performance of your content. Measure metrics like website traffic, engagement rates, conversion rates, and social media interactions. Use these insights to refine your strategy and focus on what’s resonating with your audience.
- Regulatory Compliance: Ensure that all content adheres to financial industry regulations, data protection laws, and compliance guidelines. Misleading or inaccurate information can have serious consequences for your credit union’s reputation and legal standing.
By addressing these priorities in your content marketing strategy, you’ll be well-equipped to provide value to your members, attract new ones, and establish your credit union as a trusted source of financial guidance and support.
12 Reasons Financial Calculators Are Perfect for Your Content Strategy
1. Personalized Engagement: Credit unions prioritize personalized experiences. By integrating interactive calculators into member portals, you provide personalized financial insights. A “Savings Goal Calculator” could help members visualize their progress towards goals, strengthening the bond between your credit union and its members. Members gain a sense of accomplishment and trust in your institution’s commitment to their financial well-being.
2. Turning Engagement Into Action: Interactive financial calculators have a remarkable ability to seamlessly transition curious visitors into prospective applicants. By providing users with personalized insights and visualizing their financial scenarios, these calculators demonstrate the tangible benefits of your credit union’s products and services. As users witness how a mortgage calculator maps out their potential home loan or how a savings calculator illustrates their path to financial goals, they are more inclined to take actionable steps. This newfound understanding and confidence often lead to a natural progression—from calculator interaction to filling out applications. By bridging the gap between curiosity and action, calculators play a pivotal role in converting intrigued individuals into enthusiastic applicants.
3. Don’t Break the Bank for Interactive Content: In the era of fleeting attention spans, interactive content is the key to capturing and retaining your audience’s attention. Interactive financial calculators go beyond static blog posts by encouraging users to actively participate in their financial journey. As users input data and receive instant calculations, they become immersed in the experience, spending more time on your website. This extended engagement not only boosts your website’s search engine ranking but also creates a positive user experience that encourages return visits.
4. Financial Education: Interactive financial calculators serve as powerful educational tools across channels. Through your website’s educational articles or blog posts, you can embed calculators that allow users to interact with financial concepts in real time. For example, a “Debt Payoff Calculator” can visually demonstrate how extra payments impact loan repayment, enhancing users’ understanding of debt management. These tools turn abstract concepts into tangible visuals, aiding in clearer comprehension and better financial decision-making.
5. Promoting Financial Products and Services: Interactive calculators play a key role in showcasing your credit union’s offerings. For instance, a “Home Loan Affordability Calculator” can demonstrate how much members can afford for a mortgage. This not only educates users but subtly encourages them to explore your mortgage options. By proving the value of your products through interactive tools, you increase the likelihood of members considering and choosing your offerings.
6. Community Engagement and Sharing: Interactive calculators have the potential to go viral on social media. Create calculators that address community-specific financial challenges, such as a “What Will My Savings Be Worth?.” As users share and engage with these tools, your credit union’s brand gains exposure, demonstrating its commitment to community well-being and financial literacy.
7. SEO and Website Traffic: Search engines prioritize user engagement and relevant content. Interactive calculators can significantly increase user engagement, time spent on your site, and lower bounce rates. As users engage with your calculators, search engines recognize your website as a valuable resource. This can boost your search engine rankings, increasing organic traffic and ensuring your content reaches a wider audience.
8. Omni-Channel Consistency: Interactive calculators can be seamlessly integrated across your digital channels. Whether it’s your website, social media, email campaigns, or even in-branch touchscreens, consistent use of these tools reinforces your credit union’s commitment to education and empowerment, fostering a unified brand image.
98. Versatility Across Content Pillars: One of the most remarkable features of interactive financial calculators is their versatility. These tools can be seamlessly integrated across various content pillars, catering to a wide range of user interests. Whether you’re crafting content about budgeting, mortgage options, retirement planning, or even educational articles for young adults, financial calculators can complement and enhance each piece. This versatility ensures that your content remains relevant and valuable to your diverse audience.
10. Empowering Financial Decision-Making: The core mission of a credit union is to provide its members with personalized financial solutions. Interactive financial calculators serve as virtual assistants, empowering your audience to make informed decisions about loans, savings, investments, and more. By allowing users to input their unique financial data, these calculators generate instant and accurate results, giving your members a clear understanding of their financial options. This not only demonstrates your commitment to their financial well-being but also positions your credit union as a reliable and customer-centric institution.
11. Turning Engagement into Action: In the era of fleeting attention spans, interactive content is the key to capturing and retaining your audience’s attention. Interactive financial calculators go beyond static blog posts by encouraging users to actively participate in their financial journey. As users input data and receive instant calculations, they become immersed in the experience, spending more time on your website. This extended engagement not only boosts your website’s search engine ranking but also creates a positive user experience that encourages return visits.
12. Versatility Across Content Pillars: One of the most remarkable features of interactive financial calculators is their versatility. These tools can be seamlessly integrated across various content pillars, catering to a wide range of user interests. Whether you are crafting content about budgeting, mortgage options, retirement planning, or even educational articles for young adults, financial calculators can complement and enhance each piece. This versatility ensures that your content remains relevant and valuable to your diverse audience.
Interactive financial calculators offer a versatile and engaging way to achieve multiple content marketing goals across various channels. From educating members to promoting products, these tools provide tangible value while reinforcing your credit union’s mission of financial empowerment and support. By embracing these calculators as a core part of your content strategy, you can create a more informed and engaged member base, ultimately driving growth and loyalty for your credit union.
Chase Neinken wrote this article with the help of chatgpt